Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:32:12 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /etc/crontab not work?

I have two cron jobs which won't seem to run. If I run the exact same
commands from a shell script, then everything goes well. There are no
errors reported, nothing get's logged, yet nothing gets done either. The
two entries in question are as follows:

# run Perl script which backs up our databases
# permissions set to 755, runs if user types: /etc/database-backup
# must be run as root, should run nightly at or around 8:00pm
10      20       *       *       *       root    /etc/database-backup
2>&1 | sendmail garbage

# run Perl script which backs up our databases
# permissions set to 755, runs if user types: /etc/website-backup
# must be run as root, should run Saturday nights at or around 8:30pm
30      20      *       *       6       root    /etc/website-backup 2>&1
| sendm
ail garbage

If I create a shell script with the following:

#!/bin/sh

/etc/database-backup 2>&1 | sendmail garbage
/etc/website-backup 2>&1 | sendmail garbage

chmod 755 <script>
Then run said script, and everything goes fine. I've tried restarting
cron, but it still doesn't seem to do anything. Is there something
obvious I'm missing here? Does /etc/crontab not work? Should I usr
/var/cron/tabs/root instead?

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com