Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 17:12:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Leo Papandreou <leo@rur.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

On Sun, 12 Nov 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > On my system at home (486DX4/100, 850MB Western Digital IDE, VLB IDE
> > controller, 24MB RAM) the system does seem to freeze up for as much as 5
> > seconds when I start up a large process such as Netscape or cause one of
> > the existing processes to greatly expand their RAM usage (for example,
> > looking through the 1000 messages that sometimes accumulate in my INBOX
> > using pine, or loading a large number of pictures into XV).  I think it's
>
> Huh.  Well, all I can say is that this definitely points at IDE
> because I can't reproduce it at all, and that includes starting the
> most bloated netscape v2.0b1 binaries, systems like KCL and other
> notorious memory hogs.

Not so fast. I have additional anecdotal evidence.

ASUS P54TP4, NCR-810, 32M, 2G Hawk, 2.0.5-RELEASE.

After a week of exclusively analog, coffee free activity, I logged
in and started pine. Woo-hoo! 3000+ accumulated messages.

Good night!

I'm talking frequent, _lengthy_ "binds" lasting as long as a minute.
Virtual terminal sessions indicated that performance had been sig-
nificantly degraded system wide.

When i was running X I noticed that programs like Netscape would
often choke the system as well. I put it down to X running on a
"measly" 32M (sigh.)

/Leo