Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2017 11:06:05 -0400
From:      john hood <cgull@glup.org>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, jhb@freebsd.org, jkim@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM probes fail on aac with EARLY_AP_STARTUP

On 9/8/17 9:15 AM, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> Is there any reason to believe this is limited to aac? I'm asking
> because your description is quite similar to boot problema I'm seeing
> with 11.1-STABLE on a server with mps (Avago) SCSI/SATA controller
> and SATA disks. I'm getting the dreaded "mounting from ... failed
> with error 19". 11.1-RELEASE seems to work okay but 11.1-STABLE does
> not.

Your issue isn't obviously directly related to mine. mps is a CAM driver
and aac is not (at least not for normal block volumes), which makes disk
probe/attach quite different.=C2=A0 I also don't see an obvious driver fl=
ag
like the one in aac.

Do you see GEOM error messages like "Opened disk aacd0 -> 6"?=C2=A0 When =
you
get a failed boot, if you type '?' at the mountroot prompt, do you see
the base device (ie "da0"), but not partitions/slices ("da0s1",
"da0p1")?=C2=A0 If both of those are true, then your problem might be sim=
ilar
to mine.

regards,

=C2=A0 --jh