Date:      Fri, 5 May 2006 14:34:02 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: X.Org 7.0 port?

--5G06lTa6Jq83wMTw

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 02:14:02PM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> ?'?????? 05 ??????? 2006 13:55, Kris Kennaway ???????:
> > Sorry, but "I suggest those other people pull their finger out and
> > work harder on my problems" isn't a viable solution.
>=20
> Kris, I only spoke, when it emerged, that the X11 team is working on port=
ing=20
> 7.0, which has no functional improvements over the already ported 6.9. So=
=20
> much so, it was first (rather angrily) suggested to an innocent user,=20
> that "no one in their right mind" would work on 7.0...
>=20
> Only then did I lament the sorry state of the X11 *support* -- with most=
=20
> questions sent to x11@ simply unanswered. I did not name Eric until Mark =
L.=20
> explicitly solicited my opinion with his question, that I underlined for =
you=20
> in the previous e-mail.
>=20
> It seems, that *any* answer to Mark's question would leave me open to a=
=20
> misguided "fix it yourself and shut up" attack like yours.

Perhaps because there are no other workable solutions?  You've been
around open source projects long enough to learn that if you're not
satisfied with the level of support you're getting from the
volunteers, you can either

a) live with it
b) fix it yourself
c) pay someone

and that's about it.  Maybe Mark thought you'd come up with a new
option d) to add to the list.

> Of all people, *you*, who sends ports failure notifications to hundreds o=
f=20
> ports maintainers, should know better -- when X-server fails to start or=
=20
> hangs the user's machine, it is the port's failure no different (although=
=20
> harder to fix), than any ported program misbehaving.

If you've read any of those emails of mine, you'll note the advice is
"please fix it or report it to the developers".
FreeBSD port maintainers are only held responsible for their own
actions, and are not expected to fix bugs in the upstream source.

Kris

--5G06lTa6Jq83wMTw

--5G06lTa6Jq83wMTw--