Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:59:07 +1000
From:      "Dominik D" <dominik@dmd.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problem with printing

I am new to FreeBSD and having problem with using a printer.

I have two printers on my computer Epson LQ 2550 on lpt0 and Canon BJ 300 on
lpt1,

but I can use only one (Epson) and I do not know why.

The relevent section of /etc/printcap file is as follow:

epson|lp|Epson LQ 2550:\

:sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/epson:\

:lp=/dev/lpt0:\

:lf=/var/log/epson.log:\

:if=/usr/local/libexec/lpfilter:

canon|bj|Canon BJ 330:\

:sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/canon:\

:lp=/dev/lpt1:\

:lf=/var/log/canon.log:\

:if=/usr/local/libexec/lpfilter:

#lpc status before using 'canon' printer:

lpc status

epson:

queuing is enabled

printing is enabled

no entries

printer idle

canon:

queuing is enabled

printing is enabled

no entries

printer idle

#Look up into /var/log/lpd-errs file reads as follow:

Oct 20 09:46:07 dmd lpd[111]: restarted

#If I use lpr -Pcanon cls.c than nothing happens, however

lpq -Pcanon is printing

Worning: no daemon present

Rank Owner Job Files

1st marek 33 cls.c

lpc status

queuing is enabled

printing is enabled

no entries

printer idle

canon:

queuing is enabled

printing is enabled

1 entry in spool area

printer idle

Look up into /var/log/lpd-errs file this time is different

Oct 20 13:41:49 dmd lpd[1670]: /dev/lp: No such file or directory

Communication between canon printer and lpt1 is OK

What can I do to make both printers working?

Regards

Dominik Dadok