Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 20:56:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      papowell@astart4.astart.com
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Cc:        papowell@astart4.astart.com
Subject:   Need help with FreeBSD 3.1 - problems

Let me start with an aside on this.  A couple of months ago
I was given a demonstration of the picobsd floppy for network,
and was surprised at how much it had.  It was cool.
Neat.  Nifty.

So,  suddenly (Monday,  8:00 AM)  I have been shoved into the
horrible position of needing to regenerate and make such a floppy,
but this time with some UGLY drivers in it.  By Friday.

No problem - I just cd /usr/src/release/picobsd and do the
cd build
sh build

 - run the script,  get the stuff working,  THEN
   use my already working kernel - no sweat.

<Whimper>
the build dies several horrible deaths - this is NOT what
I expected with FreeBSD...
</Whimper>

I yank the phone out of the wall,  stoke up on coffee,
painkillers, and cancel my appointment to have my teeth worked on.
(Perhaps there is a bright side to this.)

Use the brutal diagnostic techniques I am infamous for,
i.e. - tracing each and every step of the Make and Shell scripts
I make the following incredible discoveries.

1. stage 1 references /usr/mdec/boot0,  etc etc.
   This is not there any more... it now appears to be /boot/boot0,
   etc.  So I use /boot/boot0

2. During stage2,  crunchgen is used to extract the object files
   for /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp

    it fails to get the chap_MS.o object,  and during the
   crunch build you get a missing file.

   No problem.  I can live without ppp.

3. During stage3,  we get references to /usr/mdec/boot0,
   which we know about....

   and suddenly we have:

dd if=/usr/mdec/boot1 of=picobsd.bin conv=notrunc 2> /dev/null

disklabel -Brw -b /usr/mdec/fdboot -s /usr/mdec/bootfd \
  /dev/rvn0 fd1440 2>&1 >/ dev/null

Ummm... /usr/mdec/fdboot does not exist, /usr/mdec/bootfd does not
exist...  Sigh...

<Moan>
The Distribution HAD this stuff,  it uses it.  What the &*()(*&*()
is going on?
</Moan>

I discover that the /usr/src/release/Makefile is truly a
MFH  (Makefile From Hell).

I fight my way through,  slaying princesses,  flaming toads,
and watering dragons (you know what I mean)...

To suddenly discover that

   THEY DON'T USE THE SAME METHOD TO BUILD THE FLOPPY

<Whimper>
This is from the Necrocommunicomnicon... I mean the Makefile...
</Whimper>

Here is where I threw in the probverbial towel.

/usr/src/Makefile:

	# Now, just to get this picture down once and for all:
	#
	# +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
	# |boot.flp                                                                |
	# +-----+-----+------------------------------------------------------------+
	# |boot1|boot2|floppy filesystem "bootfd"                                  |
	# +-----+-----+-+--------------------------------------------------------+-+
	#               |kernel                                                  |
	#               +------------+-----------------------------------------+-+
	#                            |mfs filesystem "mfsfd"                   |
	#                            +-----------------------------------------+
	#

**** OK, This I understand ****

	release.8: write_mfs_in_kernel dumpnlist
			rm -rf ${RD}/mfsfd
			mkdir ${RD}/mfsfd
			cd ${RD}/mfsfd && \
					mkdir -p etc dev mnt stand/help
			@cd ${.CURDIR} && $(MAKE) installCRUNCH CRUNCH=boot \
					DIR=${RD}/mfsfd/stand ZIP=false
			( cd ${RD}/trees/bin/dev && \

					ls console tty ttyv0 ttyv1 ttyv2 ttyv3 null zero | \
			cpio -dump ${RD}/mfsfd/dev )

**** and a lot of stuff, where they put files lovingly in place ***

But they never seem to GENERATE THE BOOT floppy.

******************************

**         OFFER            **

******************************

If somebody can help me out with this in the next couple of days,
I will personally give them

  A.  BSD Daemon Tshirt by Phil Foglio,  the fellow who did the
      first daemon.

      Ummm.... OK OK,  so it will be one of a couple of HUNDRED
      we will be giving away,  but it is still a T shirt.

  B.  A Free Dinner at the next USENIX and/or LISA Conference.
      And yes, you can bring a couple of buddies along as well.

  C.  A free LPRng print spooler CD.  Printer not included.

Sigh...

Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies,
papowell@astart.com            9475 Chesapeake Drive, Suite D,
Network and System             San Diego, CA 92123
  Consulting                   619-874-6543 FAX 619-279-8424
LPRng - Print Spooler (http://www.astart.com)