Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 10:17:13 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Branson Matheson <branson@longstreet.larc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

Branson Matheson wrote in message ID
<199605221222.IAA28170@longstreet.larc.nasa.gov>:
>  Hrm... how about this... since the web wite is donated by WC
> anyways... why not use the writeup that is in the catalog? We
> could put in BIG letters that this is the opnion of WC and not the
> FreeBSD camp ( although I am not sure who wrote the original ).

Not really. It uses WC's network and hardware, but WC have (mostly)
acknowledged that it's our machine and we do with it what we like. We
could probably see if they'll put the write-up on THEIR WWW pages on
wcarchive though and put a pointer to that... (AFAIK Jack (Velte)
wrote the original, possibly with help from Greg Long from the Art
Dept. and Jun Akiyama from Tech. i.e. it's written by WC / WC staff)

>  And re: A more direct route... I was thinking that having sub links
> under "The FreeBSD Documentation Project" with FAQ and/or handbook may
> make it easier for the average layman to find when surfing ( and then
> posting using the mailto: ) so that they can find their own answers to
> their questions. The Number of repeated questions lately has just
> about tripled... including and not limited to :

> 	BSD vs. Linux ( a favorite )?

Or the famous ``Where can I get Linux?'' or ``Help me with BSD/OS''
(again getting more common :-( )

> 	Is SMP ( Dual Processors ) supported?

This should go in the FAQ anyhow.

> 	Will FreeBSD run on my new octium machine with 14 MB... etc.
> 	etc.. etc...  etc....

This is a difficult question to answer, no matter how knowledgable the
person is about their hardware, and in a lot of cases you'll see
``will it run on my Frob Systems, Inc Super-Fribber 9505'' with the
person having absolutely NO idea what the h*ll he just bought.

Perhaps someone gathering postings with success/partial success/total
failure stories to the various lists could compile a WWW page (or
pages, more likely, given the size of the problem), either with some
simple indexing system or a search engine.

> So the focus of this thread is " Is there a way to better inform
> visitors to the Home Pages so that they might find the answers without
> posting to the questions list? " ( biggie .. ain't it ;-)

Very. Are you volunteering to help? :-)

What may help is publishing Greg Lahey's ``How To Get The Most From
Questions'' mail somewhere BEFORE you get to the mailto: url...

Gary