Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 15:36:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New scsi disk config help please

On Wed, 24 Dec 1997, Studded wrote:

> 	First off let me say that if this subject is better treated on -scsi or
> -hardware feel free to follow up there. I'm on both lists, but I'm
> trying to break my cross-posting habit. :)  Also, what I'm doing here
> might be more complicated than it needs to be, but please bear with me
> since this is my first real scsi disk, and I'm fairly excited. :)

It's actually better treated on the website. :-)

> 1.  Does my plan sound reasonable?  I've been following things on the
> lists here for a while now, and I think I've planned for the best
> possible use of the two disks, but this isn't really my area.

Sure.

> 2.  Which filesystem should go on the "slow" IDE disk, /usr/obj or
> /usr/src?  And will the make world benefits of having those two
> filesystems on different disks be worth it when one of them is IDE?  If
> it makes any difference, the IDE drive is alone on its bus, with a
> CD-ROM on the other bus.

I'd put /usr/obj over.  As long as src and obj are on different disks,
you'll get the performance increase you're looking for.

> 3.  Is it at all desirable/necessary to split slices on a hard disk on
> physical platter boundaries?

Don't even try this level of optimization; you don't know where anyting
will land anyway. Let the OS optimize for you.

> 4.  Rather than blow away the last few months of work in the freebsd
> installation I have, I was thinking of installing freebsd all new on the
> scsi disk, then moving parts from the old installation to the new one.

If you want to go to that level of work.

When I bought my 2gig SCSI, I formatted it as one giant partition, left
the main OS on the IDE and moved filesystems that are going to grow,
particularly /usr/local, on over and symlinked them across.  This way I
didn't have to muck with the booting details.

> 5.  If I'm understanding things correctly, FreeBSD's UFS is using a 4k
> inode size. Has anyone done any studies on whether this is optimal or
> not?

Probably, or else they wouldn't have picked it. :)  I suspect there are
papers out there in obscurity where people have measured performance on
various inode sizes and numbers.  It depends a lot on your load though;
news servers need more inodes.

I suspect the default is pretty optimal for your ``average'' system.

> 6.  When I install FreeBSD on the scsi disk, any suggestions on sizes of
> the partitions?  Obviously I won't have to worry too much about space,
> but I'd prefer not to waste any if possible. I want to install the
> linuxulator, and just about everything else. :)

It's completely up to you.

> 	Anything else I should be thinking of?  I would really like to get this
> right the first time, so I am very open to suggestions. Any help will be
> greatly appreciated.

Read http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/diskformat/ when you get to the
actual formatting part.