Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2012 13:57:29 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Manually partitioning using gpart

I'm reading http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html at
the moment.

Seemingly there are many outdated howtos first hits for searching with
Google. I frst read 64k for boot and now 512k.

IIUC "Install the GPT bootcode into the boot partition" has to be done
and is independent of the GRUB in the MBR.

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 13:32 +0100, Lucas B. Cohen wrote:
> On 2012.11.25 12:26, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Here I already don't understand how large the swap should be. Really 2 *
> > size of the RAM?
> It depends on use patterns and the amount of RAM in your computer. 1.5*
> to 2* installed memory is a traditional "works for most" value, but I
> feel it's outdated for 64-bit machines with 8 GB or more.

It's a 64-bit machine with 4GB RAM.

> > I also don't know if 256k is a sane alignment value, I just copied this
> > from a howto.
> If you're using a single, not too recent-and-huge hard drive, 512 bits
> (that is, no alignment) is fine.
> If you have an Advanced Format Drive or you don't know if you do, use 4k.
> If you have an underlying RAID array, 256k is a better choice.
> If it's an SSD, go with 4 MB to avoid taking any chances with
> performance over time.

No RAID, a modern SATA drives, so 4k seems to be the way to go.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ralf