Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 20:28:13 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: src/games bikeshed time.

> "They do not have a strong maintainer and follower base, so they
>  should be removed to ports, where they will continue to exist
>  because they have such a strong maintainer and follower base
>  that they will have their own FTP site from which the source
>  will be maintained by third parties, such that the ports will
>  remain viable."
>
> 8-) 8-).

Yeah, yeah. :-)

In ports, they get some kind of archiving that will safisfy the this ><
many players of these games will need to get them installed. This is
not offered by the Attic in nearly as coinvenient a way.

> It's funny, but since the code would be in the attic anyway, only
> unmaintained, it would still be there forever, so I guess we are
> only talking about getting the "make world benchmark" times down.

In private, John Baldwin pointed out that for currnt fast machines, this
is about a minute.

Its more like clearing up one's desk, or taking out the trash.

> If you want to axe them, then say it; mature open source software
> is generally unmaintained, so moving them to ports equals axeing
> them, unless the move includes providing FTP archive space for the
> source code.

The move _does_ include this. See ports/net/freebsd-uucp.

> On "tradition":
>
> I actually think the main reason for maintaining them is "nostalgia";
> most of us who learned how to program on shared computing resources
> remember the games as one of the things that sparked our initial
> interest in the computers.  People who learned to program in this
> environment, in college computer labs, at 3 AM, with 10 other people,
> learned different lessons than the people who learned to program, all
> alone, in the dark, on their own PC, in their parent's basement.  Us
> "old guys" would claim we learned better lessons: like how to play
> nice with others.  It's easy to be nostalgic for those days, and to
> want to keep the trappings of them around.

I am nostalgic about old stuff. I have 4 out of 5 of the computers
that I built as a kid, and I have plenty of the software that ran on
them.

This is all carefully packed away in boxes so I can show my grandchildren.
It is NOT on any of my current machines (I could make it so easily enough).

> That said... "rain" is a neat display hack.  It's at least as good as
> the ASCII art VGA library.  I probably would not miss anything else,
> or anything that wasn't multiplayer, very much, if at all... it looks
> like an axeing may be in order.

Rain looks ridiculous on a VTY. Last time it looked ok was on a 9600
baud terminal.

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn