Date:      Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:08:22 -0700
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>, freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org, Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 08:21,  the author Herve Quiroz contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports:

>On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 07:30:52AM -0700, Vizion wrote:
>> >This can be done today, with an eclipse-plugins meta-port, similar to
>> >the php5-extensions one. I may even find some time to work on it.
>>
>> Wow
>>
>> That is great
>>
>> That is what I have been arguing for for three months!!
>
>Yes, but you have been arguing for /usr/ports/eclipse and
>/usr/ports/eclipse/plugins which are both major changes to ports
>framework whereas php5-extensions is just a port as any other in the
>*existing* framework. And I remember suggesting something similar with a
>plugin support using MASTERDIR months ago.
>
>Anyway, if this is just a matter of having the same as
>lang/php5-extensions, I fully agree with the approach. Moreover, I am
>glad to see that we have come to agree on some point (although I don't
>know yet if people from freebsd-eclipse@ will effectively chose that
>particular approach).
>
>Now regarding the new non-virtual category, I think this goes beyond the
>scope of the freebsd-java@ team so I'll let others (freebsd-ports@ and
>probably portmgr@) deal with this new issue. FWIW, I remember some
>earlier discussion regarding the creation of a new category (IIRC it was
>about splitting 'net' into 'net-p2p' and such) where hundreds of ports
>were concerned and the discussion not only took a long time but as you
>can see these new categories never hit the ports tree.  So I guess
>you'll have to be patient and explain your point in a much humble
>fashion than what you did for this eclipse plugin framework discussion.

I   just lost it -- for three months I have put up with being polite in
response to knee jerk reactions about "not making exceptions" and repeated
demonstrations of a mindset that does not understand the implications of
framework centric computing.

I remember all the ineffectual battles with system focussed people back in the
early 70's and was horrified that we were unabole to counter the rise of MS
because the **ix community was unable to wrest control of its development
cycle from engineers and determine its future policy by reference to user
requirements.

I see this happening again.

I would argue that the powerful combination of JVM and framework centric
processing will make OS choice dependent upon how easy it is for the user to
control everything via an interface like eclipse.

I would like to see freebsd lead the way

david