Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 13:02:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyes01@ibm.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to get tar to read input files from file?

On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> I have a book which has a line like
> tar -cvf /dev/fd0 'cat backup.list'>backup.log
>
> It is supposed to read the file names from a file called backup.list.
> When I try it it dowsn't work. I tried also using <backup.list and
> that didn't work either.

Well, what it appears to be doing is creating a tar archive to a floppy
disk, backing up the files in backup.list, and outputting any messages to
backup.log.

I don't know whether /dev/fd0 or /dev/rfd0 is the right device though.
It's dumping the output archive *directly* to the floppy disk, no
filesystem or anything.

> Any suggestions on how to pipe a file to tar to read input files?

That should be correct.  My guess would be that the the files in
backup.list have to be on one line, like "/etc/rc /etc/rc.local
/etc/netstart ..." and so on.

Try looking at the tar man page 'man tar' for info.