Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:03:16 -0600
From:      Gabor Kincses <gabor@acm.org>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: end of 2.2-stable support and the future of ports

Satoshi Asami wrote:

> Hello world,
>
> Well, the time has finally come.  The 3.0 tree was branched to
> 3.1-stable (RELENG_3) and 4.0-current (HEAD) today.
>
> As has been announced before, the support for the 2.2 branch by the
> ports team has now officially ended.  New ports will no longer
> required to be tested on 2.2.  Also, ELF has been the default format
> for the 3.0 branch for some time, so now seems like a good time to
> declare the end of a.out support too.
>
> We will not yank 2.2/a.out support from existing ports, but will not
> require 2.2 or a.out support be preserved across port updates either.
> This means that the numbef of ports that can be compiled on 2.2 will
> slowly decrease over time.  In a few months' time, I will remove all
> 2.2/a.out support from bsd.port*.mk.  That will finally free us from
> all the kludges we had to put into the system and the ports tree in
> order to make a smooth (relatively speaking -- don't laugh) transition
> from 2.2/a.out to 3.0/ELF.
>
> I will build the final snapshot of packages-2.2-stable tonight and put
> it up on ftp.freebsd.org.  It will be kept there for a few months, but

I have three 2.2.5 machines (also have the CDs), but some of the ports
have much better versions in the latest 2.2 ports collection.  Since
these boxes perform exceptionally well, I have a really hard time
justifying my mocking around with them.  At the same time the need
occasionally arises to pick up a port from the CD.  It would be a real
shame if the 2.2 ports collection disappeared for ever.  I know, earlier
versions like 2.0.5, 2.1.7 were also wiped out at some point, but the
subsequent releases didn't remove such fundamental features like a.out
support...

So why the rush?  Why not just keep a final 2.2 snapshot around (for a
few years) for those not willing to just yet plunge into 3.0?  Is
diskspace cost the limiting factor?

Once again, I'm not asking for support, just availability.

--
Gabor Kincses
(gabor@acm.org)