Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 12:35:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jan Isley <jan@bagend.atl.ga.us>
To:        ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu (Guy Helmer)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random keyboard hangs w/ 2.0.5 on PC-Express 486's

Let me guess, you are using syscons and not pcvt?  I had the same
problem.  Several people suggested trying a pcvt enabled kernel.
I did and no more keyboard lockup... and I am starting to like pcvt. :)

Guy Helmer wrote:
> I've installed 2.0.5-ALPHA on on PC-Express 486DX/33 and 2.0.5-RELEASE on
> two PC-Express 486DX/33's, and each of the PCs will randomly lock the
> keyboard.  I've found that telneting in and issuing a "kbdcontrol -r
> normal < /dev/ttyv0" will free the keyboard, so maybe I'll just add that
> command to root's crontab :-)  It even happens when running X.  The
> systems have different models of keyboards.  1.1.5.1 used to work fine on
> these systems.
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

I am guessing it is a problem with the syscons driver and some flavors
of keyboard bios.  This motherboard is an ASUS PVI-486AP4 but I have not
taken the cover off to check which keyboard bios it uses yet.