Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:54:29 +0300
From:      Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@webdaemon.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   icecast/liveice problems

Hi,

Not sure if this Q really belongs here, but here goes.

I tried to setup icecast/liveice to broadcast a local
radio station on a 3.4-S box with an SB AWE64 Gold a
few months ago but with no success. I quickly forgot
about it, but I tried again yesterday, only now it is
running 4.0-R, again with no joy, and what seems to be
the same symptoms.

I did get it to broadcast fine, but all it broadcasts
is nice, MPEG Layer 3 compressed silence. The new
version of liveice (that I got off ports) features what
seems to be a vu-meter, which appears to be stuck at
the same level, but a different one every time it is
restarted. I guess this pretty much rules out the
possibility of incorrect recording input settings,
and seems to indicate that it can't read the audio
data properly. Over at liveice's website it states
that it's only tested on linux/oss, so I don't know if
it's supposed to work on freebsd, but here's to hoping.

Has anyone actually used liveice sucessfuly w/ freebsd?

Any other suggestions for live audio broadcasting?

TIA,

Kostas