Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:57:57 -0700
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@checker.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: matcd on an SB16

> > Is the matcd driver known to work on FreeBSD 3.2 ?  If not, does anyone
> > have any estimate of the amount of effort that'd be required to fix it?
>
> It "works" for some definitions of "work".  Firstly, there are three
> different CDROM interfaces that can be hung off an SB16; one is the
> Matsushita drive, there's also a Mutsumi interface (I don't think we
> support it) and a Sony interface (also, I believe, unsupported).
>
> Presuming the drive is a real Matsushita, and it's one of the few
> listed in the matcd manpage, you should be able to get it to work by
> following the manpage carefully.

FYI this no longer works in -current.

FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #2: Sun Jul 11 23:42:24 PDT 1999
jake@io.yi.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/JAKE

I have a Matsushita 2x drive and a sb16; the drive stopped being
probed around when newbus went in.  No probe message at all.
It shows up in visual kernel config, but not after.

I figured it was just rot due to the newbus switch, but it
hasn't been fixed.  I also imagine I'm the only person in the
world running -current with one of these :)  probably
the driver could just be ripped out; these are ancient
drives, and consume horendous amounts of CPU.

also, something's gone amiss in the reorganization of
GENERIC and/or LINT

GENERIC:

device      matcd0  at isa? port 0x230

LINT:

controller      matcd0  at isa? port 0x230

The man page says it should be controller.

Thanks
--
we are but packets in the internet of life