Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:12:36 -0600
From:      Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mill@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic `nodump' flag?

Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'd like the entire contents of each user's .mozilla/firefox/*/Cache directory
> to be excluded from the regular filesystem dumps.
>
> Running ``chflags -R nodump /home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/Cache'' does the trick,
> but this needs to be redone daily -- prior to running the backup -- because
> new entries appear in the caches, obviously... The new entries don't have the
> nodump flag set.
>
> Is there a way, the flag can be set automatically? For example, inherited from
> the directory? Thanks!

The dump man page for 6.2 says:

      Directories and regular files which have their ``nodump'' flag
      (UF_NODUMP) set will be omitted along with everything under such
      directories, subject to the -h option.

So if the "Cache" directories themselves are flagged, I think you'd be
OK. Maybe

	chflags nodump /home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/Cache

(without the -R) would be a good thing to quickly make sure the
directories are flagged in case the users delete/recreate the Cache
folders, but wouldn't take as long as flagging each and every cache file.

You'd probably also want to add "-h 0" to the dump args, otherwise the
cache files would be included in level 0 dumps.

	Barry