Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 2014 10:28:11 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Jos=C3=A9_Mar=C3=ADa_Alcaide?= <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using boot0 to redirect booting to another disk?

(I previously sent this post from the wrong email address, so I'm =
sending it again. My apologies if it shows twice.)
---

Hi.

I have an HP Proliant Microserver Gen8. Nice machine but picky BIOS. =
When its hard disk controller is configured in SATA AHCI mode, there is =
no way to choose the boot disk among those connected to the SATA ports. =
I have four HDD attached to the backplane, and another drive connected =
to a fifth SATA port originally intended for an optical drive. The four =
HDD are arranged in a RAIDZ. Currently the machine is booting from an =
USB flash device, but I would like to boot the FreeBSD installed on =
fifth drive. The disk controller sees and reports the five disks just =
fine, but as I said above, there is no way to choose the fifth disk as a =
boot device.

I wondered whether I could use boot0 to redirect the boot from a USB =
flash device (pendrive or, still better, a microSD) to the fifth drive. =
The idea comes from the fact that boot0 shows a "F5 - Drive 2" option =
when it detects more than one drive. I tried to understand how boot0 =
works reading its source code, and I experimented with the boot0cfg's =
"-d disk" and "-o setdrv" options, to no avail. So I decided to ask for =
help. :)

Is that possible? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
Jose M. Alcaide=