Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:35:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        darin@slovitt.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limits Problems ...

> > Resource limits (current):
> >   cputime          infinity secs
>
> > I have checked login.conf, and it does indeed confirm that the cputime
> > limits should be set to 'infinity'.
> >
> >         :cputime=unlimited:\
>
> > When I attempt to untar a file, I get the ever-so-annoying:
> >  Cputime limit exceeded
> >  0.000u 0.000s 5:33.14 0.0%      0+0k 3594+7617io 0pf+0w
>
> This sounds like the timewarping clock bug that's been popping up on
> systems running APM.  If you're using the APM driver try knocking it out
> of your kernel.

Works on my box, which doesn't have APM, so it's still not APM
that's causing this problem.  APM was a guess, and the verdict is
in: the guess was wrong.

> Don't forget, when you modfiy /etc/login.conf, run cap_mkdb afterwards.

See the output of his "limit" command: he remembered.

I think he's probably upset that, no matter what the root cause of
the bug is (besides APM, I mean, since it's probably not that),
FreeBSD is claiming that some time_t minus another time_t somewhere
in the kernel has exceeded infinity.

Since that's logically impossible, the code that's enforcing the
limit by killing the process is *broken*, since it's apparently
grasping neither logic nor one of the basic tenets of number theory.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.