Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:49:16 -0400
From:      Tod Luginbuhl <tod@science-guy.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Johnny Wu <jwu@physics.berkeley.edu>
Subject:   Re: pentium vs. pro for freebsd

Johnny Wu said...

>I'm considering either getting a Pentium/200 or a more expensive Pentium
>Pro machine for a FreeBSD system.  I've heard that FreeBSD can't really
>take advantage of the Pentium Pro, and that its not worth the extra $$$.
>Is this true?

Dave Greenman responded with...

>   No, it's not true at all.

My office mate has a 200Mhz Pentium and I have a 200Mhz Pentium Pro.
The number crunching problems we've run on the two systems run about
twice as fast on my Pentium Pro.  I think the Pentium Pro is well worth
the extra $$$. (just to muddy the water a little my office mate runs
Red Hat linux v4.2 and I'm running FreeBSD 2.2-stable)

Tod

Tod Luginbuhl                             email:  t.e.luginbuhl@ieee.org
Code 2121
Naval Undersea Warfare Center             Telephone: (401) 841-7505 x38241
1176 Howell Street                        FAX:       (401) 841-7453
Newport, Rhode Island
USA

"Don't argue with drunks and fanatics!" -- Sun Wolf (Barbara Hambly)