Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:09:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CNET ethernet cards?

> Hiho people, it's time to play hunt-the-working-hardware again 8(
>
> I'm looking for a new source of Digital DC2104x-based ethernet cards.
> The SMC's I'm using are great, but local availability sucks.  I can get
> the current Compex cards, but I was burnt once with them changing their
> cards and I'd prefer not to repeat the experience.
>
> I've been offered the CNET CN970EBT at a reasonable price, and with
> good availability.  I _seem_ to recall Rod endorsing these guys, but
> I can't actually find his mail anywhere.

I have not endorsed this card, never haveing seen one.  I am currently
using the Kingston KNE40BT cards for production, they have been qualified
by me for use in the FreeBSD systems I sell.

Do not however attempt to use the Kingston KNE100TX, I am having
problems with it.  On the 21140 side I have gone to the D-Link DFE-500TX.

> Anyone?  Anyone got one of the current Compex cards working happily with
> Matt's latest if_de?

He hasn't sent me mail telling me that he has released the really
ugly hacks to make it work with the Compex card I sent him for his
test lab.  He has found the problem (long long ago) and _could_
hack around it, but the hack to make it work could very easily have
side effects for other boards.  Compex has done some strange things on
the card that requires you to do some special I/O to make it work,
this special I/O only appears in thier drivers so they basicially
broke everyone who had written a DC21xxx driver, something I frown
on and avoid if at all possible.  For this stunt I have placed them
on my ``don't buy list, never know when they are going to screw you
over with a revision of a product, and can't get you reasonable engineering

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD