Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2005 02:24:09 -0700
From:      Zev Thompson <zev@interchange.ubc.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Journaling vs. Softupdates

Hi all,

This is addressed in the FAQ to some extent, but that answer seems
incomplete.

Apparently one of the Google Summer of Code projects is to add journaling
to UFS. When it already has softupdates, why? I've seen benchmarks that
seem to indicate that softupdates performs as well or better in most
cases, though I have nothing on hand to substantiate that. I thought the
only real disadvantages of softupdates were:

- harder to code and implement (though this is already done, so should not
be an issue)
- sometimes deleting files does not free space right away

Possibility of data loss, I'm guessing, is the same with either.
Filesystem corruption is similarly very unlikely.

So why the change? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Zev