Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 13:13:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Something is wrong with the address:

  jasonm@webace.com.au

I get ' Failed mail: exceeded hop count' from Administrator@argo.net.au.

Before you reinstall, there may be a way to restore the permissions on
enough files to get the system running.

If I remember correctly, chmod is on the fixit, as well as chgrp and
chown.  Boot the fixit and see.

If not, you can put chmod on your fixit from another system.

I can provide you with the permissions, owners, and groups for files,
if necessary.

If you set:

/bin		555	bin	bin
/sbin		555	bin	bin
/usr/bin	555	bin	bin
/stand		555	root	bin

you should be able to boot.

/etc/mtree contains the permissions for all the system files.  Look at
'man mtree'.