Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:59:18 -0500
From:      "Norman C. Rice" <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0R--> -current.

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 03:37:34PM +0200, Robert Nordier wrote:
> Norman C. Rice wrote:
>
> > In addition to the information contained in /usr/src/UPDATING and the
> > sources that it references, I encountered the following problems
> > during recent updates (1/9/99 and 1/10/99).
>
> > 5. On a multi-boot system it was necessary to copy the new boot
> >    sector after the disklabel -B process required by the new
> >    loader.
>
> Could you clarify this a little?  I'm assuming you're referring to
> using a boot manager which functions differently to boot0/booteasy.

I have two systems which do not use booteasy as you assume -- one
uses System Commander and the other uses NT's native loader. In
each case, a boot sector image file (512 bytes) is used to launch
FreeBSD.

During the installation of the new loader, the boot sector (bootstrap
code) is overwritten by

 mbr example (SCSI disk):
  disklabel -B da0
  disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 da0

 slice 2 example (SCSI disk):
  disklabel -B da0s2
  disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 da0s2

Specifically, /boot/boot1 is written to the disk's MBR (da0) or
the slice specified (da0s2). After backing up the old boot sector
image file, bootsect.bsd, I installed the new bootstrap image by

 mbr:
   dd if=/dev/rda0 of=bootsect.bsd bs=512 count=1

 slice 2:
   dd if=/dev/rda0s2 of=bootsect.bsd bs=512 count=1

There is no need to reinstall System Commander (SCIN.EXE) or modify
NT's BOOT.INI file assuming that the boot sector file (bootsect.bsd
in this example) is installed in the same location and that its name
is not changed.

> A paragraph which can just be added to the existing documentation
> would probably be a help to anyone with the same setup.

Please feel free to add this to the existing documentation.

--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.