Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:16:31 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Duane H. Hesser" <dhh@androcles.com>, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Subject:   Re: 2nd call for comments: New option for newsyslog

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > >Maybe it would be better to make a generic shell script to do file
> > >rotation.  It would need some flags, like gzip compression needed,
> > >etc.  It could be used by user scripts also.  I have some that would
> > >be much simpler with such program available.

[..snip..]

> Danny; FWIW, I think you should be looking at extending the parsing of
> the interval field.  In order to remain similar to cron, I'd suggest:
>
> @daily
> @weekly
> @monthly
> @yearly
>
> This covers just about every possible case.

I thought of this, initially, but I had difficulties with the daylight
savings changeover problem, where the same event happens twice in
"localtime".  This should be fixed in cron, if it isn't already.  As Tom
pointed out, if you are going to be extremely similar to cron, why not
just use cron.

I'm now leaning towards a logrotate command which can be called from cron
directly, or from within shell scripts which are run from cron.

Danny

/*  Daniel O'Callaghan                                                     */
/*  HiLink Internet <http://www.hilink.com.au/>;       danny@hilink.com.au  */
/*  FreeBSD - works hard, plays hard...                 danny@freebsd.org  */