Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 2004 20:11:52 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Phil Thomson <philthom@freeshell.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Whither binaries?

Hi all,

I'm a relative *NIX newby running FreeBSD on an somewhat older (750 MHz)
machine. I've been installing programs, and they seem to install in my
home directory by default, but I have my partition table set up so I don't
have much room there. My questions are: 1) is there a better place to
install programs (like /usr/bin for example?) and 2) is there an
established procedure for installing programs in that location by default?
Sorry if the wording of my questions in unclear; let me know if you have
any questions.

Phil

=========
Phil Thomson