Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 2014 02:56:32 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apparent USB instability in stable-10 amd64 and i386

I notice some instabilities with USB; this is on FreeBSD 10-prerelease amd64 as well as i386:

 ugen1.4: <Logitech> at usbus1 (disconnected)
ums0: at uhub6, port 2, addr 4 (disconnected)
ugen1.4: <Logitech> at usbus1
ums0: <Logitech USB Optical Mouse, class 0/0, rev 2.00/34.01, addr 4> on usbus1
ums0: 8 buttons and [XYZT] coordinates ID=0

though this mouse is actually connected and responsive all the time.

This throwing mud in my face is very annoying!  I wonder if it was or will be fixed in 10.0-RC4 and RELEASE.

More serious, sometimes 10-prerelease amd64 crashes and goes into db> prompt during a period of idleness; this has happened twice so far on amd64.

I just checked for 9.2-STABLE amd64 and 11-HEAD i386 and amd64: these USB mouse-related messages don't occur.  Now I'm afraid to upgrade to 10.0 on computer where 9.2-STABLE is installed and re(4) works OK.  11-HEAD is stabler than 10-prerelease?

I need at least FreeBSD 10 on MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard for Internet access through device rsu; re(4) fails, and it was good on NetBSD-5.2_STABLE amd64 from February 19, 2013: just tested an hour ago.

FreeBSD version on computer with newer MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard is 10.0-prelease from about the time of RC3:

FreeBSD amelia4 10.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-PRERELEASE #3: Mon Dec 30 01:38:00 UTC 2013     root@amelia4:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANDY10  amd64

So I guess I have to switch to 11-HEAD.  I already have FreeBSD 11-HEAD amd64 and i386 installed in two hard-drive partitions and 10-prerelease amd64 in another hard-drive partition.  I have 10-prerelease i386 installed on a 32-GB Kingston USB 3.0 stick.

Reason for i386 installations is mainly wine.

I would have expected a stable branch to be stabler than HEAD, but anybody who does any kind of experiment knows not to let preconceived notions get in the way of an honest evaluation of observations.

I need to get back to 11-HEAD to see if it really is stabler and also because I want to try out the new Xorg with newcons.  Maybe I just haven't been there long enough to see symptoms of USB instability.

Tom