Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:58:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 2940 drivers -- What is the story? (fwd)

Someone want to take a crack at this?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:54:33 -0500 (EST)
From: David Moffett <dpm@cs.purdue.edu>
To: questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Adaptec 2940 drivers -- What is the story?

Normally I grovel appropriately when writing with a question to
questions@freebsd.org as all of you know far more than lowly user
scum such as myself about Unix...

HOWEVER,  what is going on with the 2940 drivers?  I have a production
machine with a 2940UW running just a Seagate disk running 2.1.5R which
has been just wonderful.  I would *love* to upgrade this machine to
2.2.1R using the Walnut Creek CD-ROM presently winging it's way to me
but there has been too much traffic in the USENET news that there are
troubles.  So what is the deal?

Specifically:
1) Are there known problems with the 2.1.5 ahc driver?
2) Are there known or suspected problems with the 2.2.1 ahc driver?
3) If (2) is true and (1) is false, what would it take to roll back
   to stability in the form of (1)'s driver?
4) Are there known or suspected problems with the 2.1.7.1 ahc driver?
5) If (4) is true and (1) is false, what would it take to roll back
   to stability in the form of (1)'s driver?
6) What is the one paragraph description of this history of this
   problem?

This is a case of FreeBSD being a victim of it's own success, more and
more we *depend* on the STABLE branch REALLY being stable.  I would be
up to my #$%^& in trouble if the machine got upgraded and then began
to do unpleasant things...

(The machine's whole configuration:
  ASUS P55T2P4 Rev 3.0
  Intel Pentium 735\\90 running at the rated 133-MHz
  32 meg of party fast-page mode 60ns RAM
  Adaptec 2940 UW running just
	1 Seagate ST32155W (rev 0528)
  ASUS SC-200 (NCR 53c810) PCI SCSI controller running just
	1 NEC CD-ROM 501 (rev 2.2)
  Generic Trident VGA Video (ISA) (the machine is usually headless)
  SMC 8216C Ethernet (ISA)
  Logitech Bus Mouse via mse0

  The machine is backed up via ftp (cron, rsh and expect are my friends
  -- Ok, it's weird, but it works and fits within an otherwise weirder
  environment) and is mainly used as a compute server doing relatively
  disk intensive activities (though www.cdrom.com it isn't).

  Little in the way of installed packages (most normal stuff is installed
  including X) and just one suite of mean, old, nasty C/FORTRAN/sh
  programs that keep the uptime at 1.00 pretty much forever.
)

So how about figuring out what those of us who seek *critical* 2940U/UW
stability should be doing and then post the answer to USENET and I
think 'announce' too as this is a topic that has festered just a little
too long.

Thanks as always for a really cool product!

David Moffett
(dpm@cs.purdue.edu)

P.S. how about a 2.1.7.2 CD-ROM with whatever the real solution is?  ftping
from the net is often a real pain and recompiling on a machine using a
broken disk driver doesn't sound like much fun to me...  Thanks!