Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 20:05:37 +0200
From:      Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net>
To:        Phil Richmond <richp@oznet.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Packages and CD rom

>I've downloaded FreeBSD and about half the packages. I don't seem to
be able to get the packages to work. I've placed FreeBSD on a CD which
loads OK from stand/sysinstall but it does not see the packages on the
CD . Once FreeBSD is installed I used the "mount /cdrom" but it says
something about cd9660.
I am using 3.3 release.

If you've burned the CD with rockridge extenstions, you get white text
saying "cd9660 with rockridge extensions" or similar. Besides, you
can't have the CD mounted if you want to install packages with
/stand/sysinstall.  If the message is not like the one I mentioned,
please say what it is.

Besides, in order to install the packages, you need to make sure of
three things:

1) You need to have /cdrom/packages/INDEX - if you don't have it,
/stand/sysinstall can't know what the dependancies are, and what
packages are available - you must have it

2) Have all the packages in /cdrom/packages/All - the packages in the
subdirectories are actually just symlinks, but /stand/sysinstall gets
the packages from the All directory. If you've downloaded the files in
/packages/*/ then move all the packages in the subdirectories to the
packages/All directory... you don't need the other directories, they
are there for conveniance only.

3) You need to make sure you have all the dependancies, recursivley.
For example, if you want to see what packages you need for KDE goto
/cdrom/packages and type `grep "^kde-1.1.1" INDEX`. Then, in turn, for
every packages you see listed do `grep "^pkgname-" INDEX`, and
download all of the packages that are required.

If this doesn't solve your problem, please mail in more details.

--
Oren Sarig
sarig@bezeqint.net