Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:06:45 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Terry Rudy <terry_rudy@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getty errors on reboot

One of the steps in the upgrade to 3.3 is to make the new devices in
/dev. From the upgrade guide at simple.net you do the following:

5. After you reboot

In all likelihood your reboot was successful, and you now have a
correctly functioning 3.2-Stable system. At this point there are just
a few remaining tasks to perform and you will be ready to use your
system once again instead of fiddling with it.

Rebuild your devices

Go into /dev and type '/bin/sh MAKEDEV all'. This will rebuild all of
your devices, including any new ones needed for the new system.
<

I had the same problem and they went away.

Kent

Terry Rudy wrote:

> Hi folks, I had my system running for a couple days and just rebooted it
> after recompiling the kernel to recognize my tape drive.  Upon restart
> everything seems to get init'd correctly (even new tape drive) but as its
> just about to get me at a prompt, I see:
>
> cp: /var/run/_motd no such file or directory
> init: can't exec 'getty' /usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv0:
> No such file or directory
> .
> .
> .
> thru ttyv7
>
> Every 30 seconds, these will repeat again, into infinity it seems.  If i go
> back to kernel.old or kernel.GENERIC then I keep getting the same errors.  I
> could find no helpful information to this problem in the handbook or in
> mailing list archives.
>
> I just rebooted my system last night and got in with no problems.  I find
> this particularly troubling because it fails with kernel.old and
> kernel.GENERIC.
>
> I appreciate the helpful responses I got to my tape drive queries - thanks
> again for the help.
> thanks!!
> -terry

Kent Stewart