Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 01:11:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        suttonj@interconnect.com.au
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about version numbers for my xgs emulator port

 * I'm working on an update for my xgs port but I wanted to get
 * something cleared up about the versions available before I submit.
 *
 * The xgs release comes in two packages. First is a stable release, which is
 * version 0.40 (currently in the ports collection) and the second is 0.48,
 * which is a test release.  According to my interpretation of the
 * "ports instructions" in the handbook, we should have two separate
 * ports here. But what directory names should I give them??
 *
 * Stable = xgs and Beta = xgs-0.48b  ???

That depends on which way you want to merge later.

If you think 0.40 is worth keeping around even after 0.48 becomes
stable, then the new one should be called "xgs048" (no need for "b").
I will have to make a repository copy of xgs -> xgs048 first, and
someone can commit the new version on top of xgs048.

If you think of it as just a "test release", and intend to keep only
one stable version (i.e., only one xgs after 0.48 becomes stable),
create a directory called "xgs-beta" or something.  When it becomes
stable, the bits will then be merged to the main xgs port and xgs-beta
will be deleted.  No repository copy necessary here, so any committer
can create the new directory without my permission.

Does that answer your question?

Satoshi