Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 19:17:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        jfielden@geocities.com, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Warning message, what does it mean?

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> This is exactly the situation I was referring to.  If I were you, I'd
> worry.  FIPS doesn't do a perfect job, and it leaves pointers outside
> the slice.  If you're unlucky, msdosfs will use one of these pointers
> and place random garbage in other slices.

I've watched this thread occur twice before, and used the web site to search
the archives, hoping to find answers. There's always some who say don't
worry, some who say expect doom and destruction. Is the real situation that
it doesn't hurt at all if you mount read-only but might crash everything
otherwise? Or what?

I partitioned my first SCSI, a 2 gig disk, with Partition Magic.
small primary DOS
extended partition with two small logical drives
two teensy empty NTFS to assist drive letter assignment
One large NTFS with yucky stuff on it
a little over 1 gig FreeBSD

I get this error when attempting to mount any of the dos partitions.

So, if I simply use Partition Magic again and have it resize the partitions
to kosher sizes, and/or change the cluster size, will that stop FreeBSD from
complaining or not? If so, what figures are appropriate for drives about
125mb and 250mb?

Regards,
        -*Sue*-