Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2008 17:46:00 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jo Rhett <jrhett@netconsonance.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

At 1:04 PM -0700 6/7/08, Jo Rhett wrote:
>On Jun 5, 2008, at 6:09 AM, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
>>If you have issues with 6.3, your time would be better spent reporting
>>them (by which I mean describe them in detail) than waving your hands in
>>the air and yelling at people.
>
>Must you resort to nonsense and hyperbole?
>
>I'd said nearly a dozen times that the issues I have aren't specifics.
>I am questioning the overall policy for EoL here.

Your concern has been noted and rejected.  Since you obviously are not
the FreeBSD project, there will be nothing gained by repeating your
concern for the thirtieth time.  It is getting mighty annoying that
you are "challenging" others to support 6.2 for you.  For free.

Several committers have offered to look at any bugs which prevent you
from going to 6.3, and you don't want to hear about that.  Your
workload is such that you don't really want to even look at any
=46reeBSD changes this year, and you assume that our workload is such
that we could painlessly continue to guarantee support for the specific
release that you want to stick with for another year.  Sorry, but we're
busy too.

We are not changing the rules on you.  When you upgraded to 6.2, we
announced when the EOL would be.  We extended that once already.  You
have not provided a compelling argument why we should extend it again.

In some ways, I can understand your concern.  My own manager has very
similar opinions to yours.  He solved it by choosing linux and buying
into the "Enterprise Edition"s of Redhat.  5 years of support.  I
suggest you look into that option.  It seems better suited to your
needs.  It is a sad truth that the FreeBSD project is not able to be
everything to everybody, but there it is.  As much as we might like
to, but we simply can't.

Perhaps you can find a number of other people who love 6.2 and hate
6.3, and together you can pay someone to support 6.2 for you.  The
way my manager pays Redhat for extended support.

As Kris has noted, there has been nothing of value in this thread.
Initially it looked like there might be, but the more you talk the
less it seems you have a legit complaint.

Your challenge has been read by many committers, and your challenge
has been found lacking, impractical and uninteresting.  Now, is it
true that every single freebsd committer must reply to this thread
and tell you "Sorry, but No"?  And we must all be nice while we do
it, or we'll also be lectured about our manners?

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =3D               drosehn@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org