Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:04:41 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        bastill@adam.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating ports and pkgdb

--BwCQnh7xodEAoBMC

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:42:57AM +0930, bastill@adam.com.au wrote:

> Unfortunately, pkgdb -u does NOT rebuild from scratch, but simply refresh=
es
> itself from the directories in /var/pkg/db.
> Is there a way I could delete all those directories and make pkgdb go loo=
k and
> rebuild the db/directories from what it finds?

Errr... pkgdb builds a summary of the package data found in
/var/pkg/db.  That is the authoritative source of information on what
packages are installed on your system, which files belong to those
packages, and the dependencies between those packages.

If your complaint is that the package database pkgdb creates needs to
be rebuilt from nothing, then you can try:

    # pkgdb -fu

but that is very rarely needed, unless pkgdb.db is actually corrupted.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way