Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:36:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      Gregory Lewis <glewis@dartagnan.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        trzy@powernet.net (Bart)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: configuring devices? x window manager prob

> Hi,
> 	I was trying to dial into my ISP to see if my modem was working (its on
> COM3) and i noticed that it said the device /dev/cuaa2 was not configured.
> 	During the installation procedure i was able to at least dial from the
> modem with no problems at that point. I am going to procede to configure my
> PPP connection (I am a newbie) but can anyone tell me how to get things set
> up with the /dev/cuaa2 problem? I am NOT using a Winmodem.

Check your kernel config on boot up.  I believe that sio2 (aka COM3, aka
cuaa2) isn't configured in the default configuration.  You can get into the
configuration by booting with the -c option.  Enable sio2 and you'll have
a lot more luck.

> 	Also, TWM seems to be my window manager under X, how do I use a different
> one? I found no options for using Windowmaker or Afterstep, the 2
> windowmanagers I remember installing.

If you're starting your X session from xdm then edit (or create) a
.xsession file and add a line like:

exec afterstep

or

exec windowmaker

whichever it is that you decide to use.  Remove any lines which exec twm
(only one window manager should be run and it should be the last thing
executed).  If you're starting X with startx or xinit then the file you
should be editing is .xinitrc.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 3237