Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 01:11:59 +0900 (JST)
From:      hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        andrew@shoal.net.au
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation tools...)

In article <32DF2C41.212C@shoal.net.au>
andrew@shoal.net.au writes:

>> Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Greg Lehey put out a book called The
>> Complete FreeBSD? Available from  Walnut Creek. My memory being destroyed
>> daily by thousands of beer molecules i apologise if i have credited the
>> wrong person with this book. 8)

Sorry, I didn't intended to abuse upon this book.  Of course I have it
and I think it's a very good FreeBSD book.  But, "a book" can't be
"the best book for everyone".  I meant that it's important for people
who is interested in PC-UNIX that good book"s" and magazine"s" about
FreeBSD always exist on the shelf of bookstores, and FreeBSD can be
installed from the CDROMs attached to these books and magazines.

I think magazines (especially, with CDROM) are the best media to
advertise our system.  It distributes tens of thousand copies of
FreeBSD, even to the people who has little knowledge about FreeBSD.
This is the tactical :-) reason why I wrote an article about FreeBSD
on a most popular magazine of UNIX in Japan.

Because of the histrical reasons, there were many FreeBSD users in
Japan, but we lost many old users and most of new users in 1995 and
early 1996.  But now we get a large number of new users comparable to
Linux again (still less than Linux, but it grows larger and larger).
I think that publications are very important to get users.

--
HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi
hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp