Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:54:35 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E9d=E9ric_Aguiard?= <faguiard@swapcom.fr>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>

Hello,

I have been using FreeBSD 4.0 stable for a few weeks.
Among the minor troubles I've met, here is one I haven't been able to solve
(yet) :

When I start any Gtk (1.2.8) / GdK (0.8.0) application as a regular user, it
crashes immediatly or after a few seconds, generating the following messages
:

GdK-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private ressource denied)
Gdk-ERROR **: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter)

This doesn't seem to occur when the program is started as root, however I
didn't had enough time to test it long enough.

I've also tried to start the programs using the "--no-xshm" switch, which
seems to increase the lifespan of some programs (but not all).
However, this is no more than a small workaround, and I'd like to find a
real solution to my problem. So I started to dig a little bit.

A quick glance at ipcs shows that a lot of shared memory segments are
created during the execution time, and that many of them remain orphans
after the crash. Cleaning them with ipcrm doesn't make things going better.

Moreover, ipcs -M shows the following numbers :

shminfo:
        shmmax: 4194304 (max shared memory segment size)
        shmmin:       1 (min shared memory segment size)
        shmmni:      32 (max number of shared memory identifiers)
        shmseg:       8 (max shared memory segments per process)
        shmall:    1024 (max amount of shared memory in pages)

32 seems to me quite a low number for using shm-hungry applications like
gnome & co. Is there a way to increase this ? Perhaps by modifying an option
in a kernel source file ?

Does anyone knows something about such crashes ? Help would be greatly
appreciated... And it make me sick to think I could be compelled to switch
to linux if I can't figure out how to solve the problem :((

Regards,

Frederic Aguiard