Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:42:59 -0700
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Chia-liang Kao <clkao@CirX.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel thread support

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 03:19:56AM +0800, Chia-liang Kao wrote:
> o Is the model for the scenario described in
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/~julian/threads/
>
>   the final design decision? (then I think it shall be well documented.)

We have made some refinements to the model, but in general, it is the same
idea.  Daniel Eischen and I are working on a paper that gives a reasonable
overview of the current design.  Hopefully we can get it to a postable form
in the near future.  However, we're probably going to concern ourselves
primarily with actually doing the work, rather than telling everybody
beforehand exactly how we're doing it.

> o shouldn't KSE to be renamed to something else? It is somewhat confusing,
>   I thought KSEs meant the sub-processes(Q) at a glance.
>   (I think the terms should be frozen ASAP to ease understanding for
>    new developers on this)

Pay no attention to the naming used in the -arch discussion.  It will
change. =)

> o What's the current status of implementation (or implementation design)?

The design is basically done.  The scheduler activations implementation has
a number of interdependencies with the SMP changes that are currently being
worked on, so the kernel support for the new threads library is going to
take a bit longer than I would like.  Still, I think we'll have scheduler
activations done for FreeBSD 5.0.

Jason