Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 14:13:17 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   de-GNUfication of Digiboard driver ?

Hi,

I've been reading recently some stories about the licensing
issues and that brought me to an interesting conclusion:

apparently, we are able to change the license of the Digiboard
driver from GPL to BSD ? It does not seem to be that much important
any more as these cards are obsolete, but still.

I was the original author of that driver. To get the information
about the Digi interface I've read the Linux driver. I supposed
that it made me mentally contaminated with GPL. But all the FreeBSD
driver was written from scratch, with none of the Linux code
re-used (except for the array with the image of firmware but
apparently that one was available as well from non-GPL-contaminated
sources, such as Digi's drivers for other Unixes).

But now looking at the BSD-USL case it seems like I was wrong about
the mental contamination. Apparently none of the author of the later
changes to this driver were enthusiastic about GPL as well.

So if I'm getting the things right, can we just go ahead now and
change its license to BSD ? Or am I wrong ?

-SB