Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 08:55:48 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        bac@sympatico.ca
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-current plug for IDE DMA -- very nice!

Brian Campbell:
 |You don't need to run -current to get IDE DMA.  I've been running
 |John's DMA patches to -stable since this summer and haven't had
 |any problems.  It'd be nice if they made it into -stable too ...

IDE DMA wasn't the only reason I upgraded to -current.  The number of cool
-current features in general (incl. IDE DMA) had finally risen past my risk
threshold, enough to chance moving to the 971208 -current SNAP.

But right.  I saw the -stable patches fly by last summer, but I figured I'd
let the kernel developers and those more daring than I beat on them a while
before I chanced my file system on them.

So far I'm impressed with the stability of this SNAP.  A few (very few)
small bugs in some sysutils which I've reported, but no showstoppers and no
panics/crashes/freezes yet.  If anyone else is contemplating a -current
switch, you might consider this SNAP.

Randall