Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2010 22:53:55 -0500
From:      "Michael D. Norwick" <mnorwick@centurytel.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   was FreeBSD 8.1 success, now PC-BSD success

Good Day;
I just completed a new PC-BSD install on the same machine I last posted
a success message for FreeBSD 8.1.
I do not have time to fiddle much right now and upgrading FreeBSD 8.1
from ports was giving me fits.  But, living on the edge has it's price.
I took the advise provided by responders to my original post and
downloaded the PC-BSD net install CD and the dvd.iso (5 hours) then
started the install early this evening.  I got both so I would be
prepared to install locally if the net install didn't work or, from the
net if the DVD did not work.  Both turned out to be true however.  I
burned 2 or 3 dvd's that panic'd shortly after the modules loaded.  It
did not matter whether I had ACPI enabled or not.  The net install CD
recognized my Intel EtherExpress Pro card but refused to start an FTP
session to download the packages.  I had a USB dvd-rom drive and
thankfully I was able to use it to load base, packages, ports, and src
from the dvd.iso after performing the setup from the CD.
Initial impressions:
1.  Nice installation program (I'm coming from the debian installer
which seems to be the standard against     which others are measured)
2.  Sensible hard disk partitioner 'advanced' mode
3.  Very cool logo
4.  Xorg configured graphics on the first run
5.  Do not like the default passwordless login

I'm still running on the first tank of gas so I guess I will post when
I've had more time behind the wheel.

Thank You,  Again, great job by the PC-BSD development team!

Michael