Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:44:53 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        robert@letsget.bz, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question bout migrating from 4.X tree to 5.x or even 6.x

Chuck Swiger wrote:

>Robert Yoon wrote:
>

>>I am planning on upgrading from the 4.x tree to the 6.x tree.
>>I have been reading online and have found little or no reference
>>information.
>>

>Presumably reading /usr/src/UPDATING and the FreeBSD handbook would prove useful.
>

>>I would like to actually do this without a make world scenario, and have
>>read some info bout booting off a usb device with 6.0 on it and copying
>>stuff over.  Anyone know of or heard bout this by any chance?
>>

>Have fun.
>
>However, it's unclear why you'd bother with USB when simply performing a binary
>upgrade installation from a 6.0 or 6.1beta ISO image on a CD would achieve the
>same end result....
>

>>Also what recommendations would you make if you were to upgrade from 4.x
>>tree to 5 or 6?
>>

>Read the fine documentation.  Follow instructions carefully.  Have good backups.

In particular, there is some *very fine* documentation at:

                http://www.freebsd.org/releases/

I'd recommend looking at the "early adopter's guide" for 5.0 or 5.1, and
a "migration guide" from a later release such as 5.3.  The 4.X -5.X jump
tends to be the tricky one, but Bruce Mah has spelled it out quite well.

If you can hit 5.X successfully, jumping to 6 should be quite pain-free.

YMMV, of course.

Kevin Kinsey

--
Asking a working writer what he thinks about critics is like asking a
lamp-post how it feels about dogs.