Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 13:49:49 EST
From:      TD790@aol.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com driver problems

In a message dated 12/15/2001 1:07:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, "."@babalo.ru
writes:

> At 06:41 PM 12/14/2001, you wrote:
>  >HP889@aol.com writes:
>  > > Try to front end your machine with a switch...the 5 cards is most
>  > likely your
>  > > problem. With each device you increase your bus contention (ie worsen
> the
>  > > worst case bus master scenario)...either that or get a 4 port card
that
> is
>  > > more efficient than 5 individual cards.
>  >I have some opposite expierence.
>  >This is my biggest router:
>  >0gw~(1)>uname -a
>  >FreeBSD gw.pike 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Wed Sep 19 06:29:38 MSD
>  >2001     babolo@shikster.pike.ru:/tmp/babolo/usr/src/sys/gw  i386
>  >0gw~(2)>ifconfig -a
>  >dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>  >dc1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>  >dc2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>  >dc3: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>  >xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>  >xl1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>  >xl2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>  >6 used 100 M ethernet interfaces among others.
>  >dc0..dc3 is one card.
>  >xl0 cards are workaround for the fact that processor
>  sty

>  >spent MUCH more time in interrupt state with dc driver
>  >than with xl driver with the same load.
>  >Yes, I try find xl x 4 card but no success

Interrupt state and bus contention are 2 different problems...the problem
with referencing the dc driver is that there are lots of different cards with
different results. btw, the if_dc driver is one of the drivers optimized for
the alpha (note the m_devget calls)..and can use a bit of tuning. my
experience with dlink quad cards and xl is that they are similar in
performance if you account for the fact that the quad cards are going through
a pci bridge chip...and the reduction in bus contention versus using 4 cards.

One issue is that you (and alot of others) dont understand the physical
limits of your machine. putting 6 or more 100Mb/s ethernets on one 32bit bus
is simply asking for problems. You are dealing with a bus that BURSTs to a
bit more than a Gb and probably no more sustained throughput capability than
500Mb/s (with 2 cards you'll get some errors at 400Mb/s and down from there
as you add cards)...so how do you expect to handle worst case DMA
requirements of 600-800Mb/s in half duplex or twice that if you run 100Mb/s
full duplex? Its just not physically possible.

DB