Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:43:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        ONE-MO <onemo@jps.net>
Cc:        Mark Dawson <md@doc.ic.ac.uk>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq ida driver patch

>>>>> "Michael" == ONE-MO  <onemo@jps.net> writes:

 Michael> So, I obviously need the declaration of the idaintr
 Michael> variable. I received a suggestion from another user who
 Michael> stated replacing Step 3 as follows worked for him:

 Michael> /sys/i386/isa/isa_device.h

 Michael> [...]
 Michael> void    isa_dma_release __P((int chan));
 Michael> int     isa_dmastatus __P((int chan));
 Michael> int     isa_dmastop __P((int chan));
 Michael> void    reconfig_isadev __P((struct isa_device *isdp, u_int *mp));
 Michael> void    idaintr (int cntlr);

[...]
 Michael> This time I was able to compile and install the kernel, but
 Michael> I receive the following error upon boot:

 Michael> Jan 31 14:44:13 jupiter /kernel: ida: port address
 Michael> (0xffffffff) out of range

 Michael> Jan 31 14:44:13 jupiter /kernel: ida0 not found
 Michael> [...]

Oops, I forgot to add another suggestion when I first mailed you. The
port address is not detected for some reason. I booted from one of the
2.2.x boot floppies that have ida in there (grab one from Mark's
site), wrote down the port that the Compaq controller uses, and then
do one of the following:

1. boot with -c and set the port address for ida in the user config
   screen. (This probably could be automated thru the loader.rc file)
2. Hack the ida.c file to always use that port (This is what I did. My
   EISA controller uses port 0x6000 so ida.c has been hacked to do
   this. I'm not proud of it, but it works, and has been working ever
   since Mark sent the announcement that he had a 3.0 version of the
   ida driver).

 Michael> Michael.

Viren
--
Viren R. Shah
"You are about as sharp as a sack of wet mice"