Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:04:25 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, vivek@khera.org
Subject:   Re: Pros and Cons of amd64 (versus i386).

> Let me comment that my 64-bit commentary about I/O is based on
> experience with Opterons, which have excellent I/O bandwidth.  The
> Intel EM64T boxes do ok, too, but I have no experience with other 64-
> bit CPUs.  The opterons are just a notch above anything else that
> I've used.

Ah, O.K. - so they dont necessarily have better I/O bandwidth in 64 bit
mode than they do in 32 bit mode then ? I am still quite keen to move to
a 64 bit architecture though. I am having problems to get the system to boot
SMP, and all the people who ahve told me that they can make it run on the
same motherboard are using amd64.

cheers,

-pcf.