Date:      Tue, 9 Aug 2011 12:53:28 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "make readmes" no longer builds individual ports' README.html files?

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:35:35 -0500
Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> Having been away from FreeBSD for a while, I'm still catching up with
> all the changes that took place while I was on hiatus, so bear with me
> here.  :-)
>
> Trying to construct the ports' README.html files with:
>
> cd /usr/ports
> make readmes
>
> Much to my surprise, this only creates README.html at the top level
> and within each category, but nothing under the individual ports'
> directories.  When did this change, and why?  Mailing list search has
> turned up nothing useful on the subject.
>
> Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong?  :-)
>
> Thanks.

When you  "make readmes" from the top level the per port files are
created by a perl script

I tried running

perl /usr/ports/Tools/make_readmes < /usr/ports/INDEX-8

and it didn't work. Since it's quite old I would guess a perl upgrade
has probably broken it.

[ Since this was cross-posted I've set a reply-to to "ports" where it
belongs ]