Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:04:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "SPAM..." <jlueck@mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd and cable modems

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, SPAM... wrote:
> I'm currently trying to set up a local area LAN which uses a single
> computer connected to a cable modem to do IP masquerading.  I've read
> the natd man page and think that I have everything set up correctly.
> Yet, nothing on the local network is getting or receiving packets.  My
> local network consists of the freeBSD machine, and 3 WinNT machines
> connected through the LAN.

Make sure that you have gateway="YES" in /etc/rc.conf

Other than that, I've noticed on my home lan that inside machines
need to ping or otherwise talk to the gateway machine before
they can talk to the outside.

I also set firewall_type to open to get things going, I need
to go back and tighten that up.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com