Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:58:51 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Wojciech A. Koszek" <wkoszek@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        svn-src-head@FreeBSD.org, emulation@FreeBSD.org, svn-src-all@FreeBSD.org, src-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r202598 - head/sys/compat/linux

Quoting "Wojciech A. Koszek" <wkoszek@FreeBSD.org> (from Thu, 21 Jan
2010 02:55:55 +0100):

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:15:00AM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting "Wojciech A. Koszek" <wkoszek@FreeBSD.org> (from Mon, 18 Jan 2010
>> 22:46:06 +0000 (UTC)):
>>
>>> Author: wkoszek
>>> Date: Mon Jan 18 22:46:06 2010
>>> New Revision: 202598
>>>
>>> Log:
>>>   Let us to use our libusb(3) in Linuxolator.
>>>
>>>   With this change, Linux binaries can work with our libusb(3) when
>>>   it's compiled against our header files on GNU/Linux system -- this
>>>   solves the problem with differences between /dev layouts.
>>>
>>>   With ported libusb(3), I am able to use my USB JTAG cable with Linux
>>>   binaries that support it.
>>
>> The commit log is IMHO omitting the info if you checked (or not) that there
>> is no linux ioctl in this range. It would also be nice if the comment in
>> linux_ioctl.h tells to check that there is no clash with a linux ioctl when
>> the min/max is changed.
>
> Sorry for delay.
>
> I have tested it against ioctl() calls submitted by ported libusb(3).
> Apparently, all ioctl() requests in my execution path didn't hit our
> emulator,
> thus I was getting warnings about unsupported ioctl(). Thus, I
> reserved a range
> for them. However, it looks like conflict exists with Linux *SND* stuff.
>
> I believe the easiest solution would be based on picking "untypable"
> values for
> commands:
>
> 	#define BSDEMUL_USB_REQUEST      _IOWR(3, 1, struct usb_ctl_request)
>

> And putting them into linux_ioctl.h just like any other ioctl().
> Simple mapping
> would be provided for those calls to our native USB stack. grep(1)
> says 3 or 4
> passed as a ioctl() should be fine, since none of those seem to be used in
> Linux.  I could bring the same macros to ported libusb(3) easily, so
> that we'd
> be using something that Linuxolator can finally understand in a unique way.
>
> Does is sound like an acceptable solution?

Unfortunately I do not follow you completely...

My concern is that someone maybe want to implement an ioctl which
falls in the same range. As long as the ioctl is not in a range of
ioctls of a normal linux kernel, it is fine for me. If in doubt, add a
kernel option to either enable or disable (I'm not sure what makes
more sense) the FreeBSD-usb-forward-part.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Once a word has been allowed to escape, it cannot be recalled.
		-- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)