Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:49:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joshua Fielden <shaggy@houseofduck.ml.org>
To:        Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are Kudos ok on this list?

<include great Kudos for the OS and people working on it>

When I interviewed for my job, I was told this office was running a
peer-peer Windoze network. I groaned, and told my boss I was going to
change that soon. He said we didn't have the money for another SPARC, and
I said we didn't need one. I suggested FreeBSD. He said we needed a
"proven" OS. I pointed him to cdrom.com, and yahoo as proof of proof, and
he was still skeptical. Here it is, a few short months later, and a 16 meg
laptop is providing proxy and DNS service for our sales office, as well as
hosting a domain I own. A FreeBSD P133/32 is a faster file/backup server
than the PPro 200/96 that was here with NT. It has to stay u$oft bescause
of the hogginess of Exchange, which we now run, but the primary machines
here are BSD, and they don't have downtime. I'm here at work at 11:40pm
because our NT machine melted down for the second time in a week today.

I too want to add my kudos with the other people who have done so
recently, and express my gratitude for the people who put in the long
hours to produce the OS, as well as the long hours to <freely> support the
OS out of kindness or loyalty, not obligation. I've asked my share of
questions that now make me wince to remember, but everyone either helped
me through my ignorance, or merely ignored it. No one ever made me feel
like an outsider, and everyone helped me get closer to my answer.

Thank You

--
Joshua Fielden, Systems Administrator,
GeoCities. jfielden@geocities.com #include <std_disclaimers.h>