Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 12:16:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      brian@utell.co.uk (Brian Somers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Providing updates for lpd/lpr/etc

In article <5ktbci$odk@usenet.rpi.edu>,
	Garance A Drosehn <gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu> writes:
> Hello All.
>
> Here at RPI we have a large number of unix workstations, which are
> running operating systems such as SunOS, Solaris, AIX, and IRIX.
> For many years we've been some bsd-flavored lpr suite of unknown
> origin for printing support on those workstations.  This year I've
> been thinking that it would be nice to get rid of the "of unknown
> origin" part of that description.  I looked at the lpr suites that
> come from NetBSD, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD.  What we're using at RPI
> is pretty similar to all of them, but each of them has a few extra
> changes that seem (to me) to be useful.  While I haven't done
> anything with FreeBSD itself yet, there are a few others on campus
> who are using it and are happy with it.
>
> So, here's what I'd like to do.  I'd like to start with the FreeBSD
> sources, and generate updates to it based on changes we have here
> at RPI and from the other lpr suites, and then get those folded
> back into FreeBSD.  Note that while we run lpr in a production
> environment on hundreds of workstations, none of the ones *I* work
> on are FreeBSD-based (well, not yet, at least).  So, what is the
> best way I could contribute some changes to the FreeBSD tree?
>
> As just one for-instance, I've started by slowly updating the RPI
> lpr suite to look more like the current FreeBSD version, and in
> doing so I've found two bugs in FreeBSD's version.  One is a
> parsing problem with the '-#' parameter on lpr, and the other is
> a cosmetic oversight with the output of the status command in lpc.
>
> Who should I contact about these and other lpr-related issues?

You can do it through me if you like.  I was the last in there
and I don't believe any of the other developers have any
strong affiliations.  I've cc'd this message to freebsd-hackers
so that people can yell out if I'm wrong.

I havn't yet merged some changes in the 3.0 branch into 2.2
(changes to printjob.c in lpd to allow filters with remote
printing), but I'll do it soon.  Nobody's complained about
any problems.

If you supply any mods in "diff -c" format, I can review
and submit them - assuming anything questionable is
approved on freebsd-hackers.

Any followups on this should really be directed to either
freebsd-hackers or to me.

TIA for your contributions.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org> <brian@freebsd.org>